DCCC Women’s Volleyball Promises a Great Season
Davidson County Community College’s women’s volleyball team is heading into its tenth season. The first game is slated for August 23 at 7 p.m. against Johnson and Wales in Brinkley Gym on the Davidson Campus. This season, tickets are $5. Funds will go toward expanding the athletics program, assisting with travel cost for away games and championships, equipment and other team needs. Games are free for DCCC students with college ID and children five and under.
Athletics at Davidson County Community College (DCCC) not only offer players and students a vibrant campus life experience but also provide the surrounding community with collegiate pride.
Both the school’s men’s basketball team and women’s volleyball team have represented DCCC and Davidson and Davie counties well. Since the athletics program at DCCC started, both teams have built impressive records in the National Junior College Athletic Association (NJCAA), winning their conference multiple times and recording notable win streaks.
Campus athletics are also instrumental in providing additional educational opportunities for the student athletes on the teams. Some earn scholarships to continue playing for four-year colleges.
The 2016-17 women’s volleyball team is comprised of the following players:
- Rebecca Cassel, a Randleman High School graduate from Asheboro, NC, with All Conference honors.
- Jasmine Caviness, an Eastern Randolph High School graduate from Ramseur, NC, with MVP and All Conference honors.
- Miranda Cumpton, an East Davidson High School graduate from Thomasville, NC, with MVP and All Conference honors.
- Jessica Ferguson, an East Davidson High School graduate from Thomasville, NC, is a defensive specialist.
- Madison Gibson, an East Davidson High School graduate from Thomasville, NC, is a top hitter.
- Sachai Hicks, a North Rowan High School graduate from Salisbury, NC, with a league record of 9-1-0.
- Stephanie Jarman, a North Davidson High School graduate from Winston-Salem, NC, with MVP and Best All Around honors.
- Savannah Stevenson, a South Davidson High School graduate from Denton, NC, with MVP, All-County, Coach’s Award and All Conference honors.
“This year’s volleyball team is stronger than ever and poised to continue the strong tradition of athletic excellence that DCCC has enjoyed since first adding sports to the campus,” says Kenneth Kirk, athletic director.
For more information about DCCC athletics, visit www.DavidsonCCC.edu/athletics.
Photo left to right: Madison Gibson, Savannah Stevenson, Capria McRorie, Sachai Hicks, Jessica Ferguson, Miranda Cumpton, Jasmine Caviness, and Stephanie Jarman.