Veterans Services' FAQs
1. How do I apply for my VA Educational Benefits?
You can apply for your VA benefits through the www.benefits.va.gov/gibill website using the VA Online Application (VONAPP) or we have direct links from our DCCC website under “Veterans’ Services,” under the “Financial Aid” section.
2. How do I know which form to fill out?
- Form 22-1990 – if you never used VA benefits before
- Form 22-1995 – if you used your VA benefits at another school
- Form 22-5490 – a dependent of a VA that has never used the benefits before
- Form 22-5495 – a dependent of a VA who has used their VA benefits at another school
3. How do I complete my VA file at DCCC?
To complete your VA file with DCCC you will need to provide:
- Provide the Admissions Office with copies of high school and/or college transcripts.
- Provide copies of your VONAPP application, DD-214, and/or NOBE, if applicable.
- Print and fill out the DCCC VA Contract located under the “Veterans’ Services” on our DCCC website.
- Provide a copy of your current DCCC class schedule.
- Provide a certificate of Eligibility (once you received it from the VA Office). Note: This is a letter that the student receives from filling out the VONAPP informing them of their chapter and their eligible length of time for the use of their VA educational benefits. This student should receive this letter approximately 30-45 days after filling out the VONAPP; however, this does not delay processing their certification.
4. Will I receive benefits if I attend on a part-time basis?
Yes. You are eligible to receive benefits. Your benefit amount will be prorated accordingly.
5. Can you tell me how much our monthly BAH will be?
These amounts are located at www.benefits.va.gov/gibill website under their respective Chapters.
6. Do I have to pay for my tuition, fees and books before classes start?
- Under Chapters 30, 35, 1606 and 1607, VA students will need to pay for their tuition and fees by the school’s published payment deadlines unless they have Financial Aid or other third-party assistance in place.
- Under Post 9/11 GI Bill – Chapter 33, VA students do not have to pay for their tuition and fees—Veterans Affairs will send certified tuition and fees directly to the school. Unless you have Financial Aid, all VA students will need to pay for their books. Note: Chapter 33 VA students receive a book stipend which may be received in time for use at the Bookstore.
7. Is there a limit to the number of times I can change my major?
No. There is no limit. Be sure to contact the VA Representative at DCCC when the change to the new major has been done. Be aware that changing your major may affect other sources of aid.
8. Must I be enrolled in a degree program to use my educational benefits?
Yes. You can only be certified for credit hours that specifically apply toward your degree program. A list of approved VA programs is located on the DCCC website.
9. May I receive VA Educational Benefits and federal financial aid during my enrollment?
Yes. Many students are eligible to receive VA Educational Benefits and federal financial aid.
10. Can I apply for other aid such as scholarships?
Yes. DCCC has scholarships that you may be eligible for as well as other scholarships listed on our DCCC website under “Scholarship Opportunities” and “Financial Aid—Forms and Guides—Other Useful Links.”
11. Does DCCC participates in the Yellow Ribbon Program?
No. DCCC does not participate in the Yellow Ribbon Program.
12. . Does Veterans Affairs pay for out-of-state tuition and fees?
No. Veterans Affairs does not pay for out-of-state tuition and fees. DCCC can only certify for in-state tuition and fees and any outstanding balance to the school is the VA students responsibility or through financial aid.
Financial Aid Office
B.E. Mendenhall Jr. Building
Hours of Operation:
Monday & Tuesday: 8 a.m. - 6 p.m.
Wednesday, Thursday, Friday: 8 a.m. - 5 p.m.
Call Us: 336.249.8186, ext. 6393
Fax Number: 336.224.0240
Financial Aid Deadlines
FAFSA Application: November 1, 2014
FAFSA File Completion: November 15, 2014
Admissions Application/Placement: Dec. 1, 2014
FAFSA Application: April 1, 2015
FAFSA File Completion: April 15, 2015
Admissions Application/Placement: May 10, 2015
FAFSA Application: June 1, 2015
FAFSA File Completion: June 15, 2015
Admissions Application/Placement: August 1, 2015
Classes will begin August 17