Outside Scholarship Opportunities
The following list of scholarships are offered through organizations outside of Davidson County Community College, and each one will have a different deadline and criteria to follow. Please read through each description and visit the website to determine your eligibility before you apply. If you have questions about any of the scholarships, you must contact the organization directly.
Please also be aware of any potential scholarship scams which might include (but are not limited to) the following:
1. Guaranteed Scholarships: In the world of financial assistance there can never be a guarantee other than a guarantee that "Guaranteed Scholarships" never come to fruition.
2. Processing Fees: If a processing fee is required, run. Many of these scholarships have disclosure statements that "guarantee the winnings" and further state that "students will be eligible for a refund." This is just an additional scam. In reality, the money never returns to the student.
3. Rewards Without Entries: Simply put, when an award or prize is given without the student having to submit an application, not only is it surprising, but even more, unbelievable. Beware!
4. Free Seminar: This is simply a baiting process to lure parents and students to attend seminars and the organizations will offer attractive materials that will "guarantee your student to qualify for a scholarship!" However, a fee is most likely applied and then followed by a small package of scholarships. Rather then pay this fee, visit the school's financial aid office or go online to a more credible database. Both of these sources are free.
Be sure to get plenty of information about the organization. If need be, visit the web site of the Better Business Bureau (https://www.bbb.org/) to determine if the organization is legit or not. Do research and get the right information before proceeding.
Varsity Tutors Scholarship
Award Amount: Monthly chances to win $1,000
How to apply: http://www.varsitytutors.com/college-scholarship
The Expert Institute Healthcare and Life Sciences Scholarship
Eligibility: Applicants must meet the following criteria:
StudySoup Future Innovator Scholarship Program
Award Amount: $2,000
Deadlines: Fall: October 1st 2016; Spring: March 1st 2017
About the Program: StudySoup is a Peer-to-Peer Learning Marketplace that connects top students in the class with those who need a little help. Top students can upload their notes, and study guides to the StudySoup Marketplace, and their peers can purchase those study materials, earning the seller a sweet income. Equal access to education is one of the main pillars of StudySoup's values. To further propagate access to education for all, StudySoup recently announced a $2,000 scholarship for outstanding students enrolling in or continuing to pursue education opportunities.
Who is eligible?
How to apply: Please visit the following site for more information & to access the application: https://studysoup.com/scholarship You'll need to submit 3 short writing segments to be considered for this scholarship.
3rd Annual Scholarship for Advancement in Higher Education (Senioradvisor.com)
Award Amount: $2000
Deadline: December 31, 2016 (winners notified by January 31, 2017)
**Please see website for additional terms and conditions**
Dr. Robin Unger Medical Impact Scholarship
Deadline: August 30, 2016
Eligibility Criteria: Must plan to be enrolled in either an undergraduate or graduate program in the U.S.
-U.S. applicants must provide a resume and an essay of at least 500 words addressing how they plan to help others through their pursuit of medicine.
-Applicants must have a current GPA of 3.0 or above.
-Provide us with a copy of their unofficial transcript.
See website to determine where to send their application:
Clifford H "Ted" Rees Jr. Scholarship Foundation Scholarship
Award Amount: $500
Deadline: November 1, 2016 (Spring 2017)
Send Official Transcripts to: AHRI's Clifford H. "Ted" Rees, Jr. Scholarship Foundation, 2111 Wilson Boulevard, Suite 500, Arlington, VA 22201, ATTN: Misha Adams
Apartment List Scholarship
Award Amount: $2,500
Deadline: September 1, 2016, December 1, 2016
Eligibility Criteria: The student must meet the following criteria:
1. You must be at least eighteen (18) years old and residing legally in the United States.
2. You must currently be enrolled in full-time undergraduate or graduate program, or be a high school senior planning to enroll in full-time undergraduate or graduate program in the next academic year, at an accredited two- or four-year college or university in the United States.
3. Employees and affiliates of Apartment List and members of their immediate families, and persons residing at the same address, are not eligible to apply for the Scholarship.
How to Apply: To apply, please submit an application that includes answers to the following questions:
Disruptive Technology Art Scholarship
Award Amount: $1,000
Deadline: September 20, 2016
About the Scholarship:
How to Apply: More details and the online application form can be found here:
Orent Law Offices Scholarship for Military Families
Award Amount: $2,000
Deadline: November 30, 2016
About the Scholarship: Orent Law Offices is offering a $2,000.00 scholarship specifically for college students whose parents have served in the military.
How to Apply: For more information & how to apply, please visit the following: http://www.orentcriminallaw.com/scholarship/
2016 Don Deese NCLTL Lifetime Achievement Scholarship
Award Amount: $1,500
Deadline: Friday, October 14, 2016, by 5 p.m.
How to Apply:
Applicant must submit the following items:
Scholarship Search Engines
|www.collegeboard.com||www.rntobsn.org/ (nursing students)|
Financial Aid Office
B.E. Mendenhall Jr. Building
Hours of Operation:
Monday & Tuesday: 8 a.m. - 6 p.m.
Wednesday, Thursday, Friday: 8 a.m. - 5 p.m.
Call Us: 336-249-8186, ext. 6393
Fax Number: 336-224-0240
Financial Aid Priority Date
Fall 2016 (2nd Session):
FAFSA Application Priority Date: September 1, 2016
FAFSA File Completion Priority Date: September 15, 2016
FAFSA Application Priority Date: November 1, 2016
FAFSA File Completion Priority Date: November 15, 2016
Spring 2017 (2nd Session):
FAFSA Application Priority Date: February 1, 2017
FAFSA File Completion Priority Date: February 15, 2017
FAFSA Application Priority Date: April 1, 2017
FAFSA File Completion Priority Date: April 15, 2017