Diesel & Heavy Equipment Technology
What you can get
What it's about
The Diesel & Heavy Equipment Technology curriculum prepares individuals for employment as entry-level transportation service technicians. The program provides an introduction to diesel & heavy equipment industry careers and increases student awareness of the diverse technologies associated with this dynamic and challenging field.
This program that prepares individuals to apply technical knowledge and skills to repair, service, and maintain diesel engines in vehicles such as Heavy Duty Trucks over one ton classification, buses, ships, railroad locomotives, and equipment; as well as stationary diesel engines in electrical generators and related equipment.
- Diesel Mechanic
- General Repair Mechanic
- Diesel Technician
- Transit Mechanic
- Fleet Mechanic
- Transportation Mechanic
- Certified Mechanic
- Bus Mechanic
- Medium/Heavy Truck Mechanic
Courses you'll take
Course work may include transportation systems theory, braking systems, climate control, design parameters, automatic and manual transmissions and drive trains, electrical/electronic systems, engine repair, engine performance, environmental regulations, materials, product finish, safety, steering/suspension, transmission/transaxles, heating and air condition systems, and sustainable transportation.
What you'll gain
Graduates of the curriculum should be prepared to take professional licensure exams, and to enter careers as entry-level technicians in the transportation industry.
Apply on DCCC's website and meet with an enrollment counselor.
Upon successful completion of this program, the student should be able to:
- Perform the duties of an entry level technician as it relates to workplace safety, hazardous materials, environmental regulations, hand tools, service information, basic concepts, vehicle systems, and common transportation industry terminology.
- Manage the day-to-day responsibility of an entry-level technician.
- Identify, diagnose, and state proper and safe procedure for repair of hybrid, alternative fuel, and other green technology systems.
- Analyze and diagnose heavy duty equipment system malfunctions and repair or replace defective components.
B.E. Mendenhall Jr. Building
Hours of Operation:
Monday & Tuesday: 8 a.m.–6 p.m.
Wednesday, Thursday, Friday: 8 a.m.–5 p.m.
Call us: 336-249-8186
Fax Number: 336-224-0240