What you can get
What its all about
The Infant/Toddler Care curriculum prepares individuals to work with children from infancy to three years of age in diverse learning environments. Students will combine learned theories, competency-based knowledge, and practice in actual settings with young children under the supervision of qualified teachers.
- Childcare teacher
- Exceptional Children Assistant
- Family Childcare Provider
- Childcare Assistant
- Child Development Specialist
- Preschool Teacher
- Before and After School Counselor
- Instructional Assistant
- Preschool Assistant Teacher
- Parent Educator
Courses you'll take
Course work includes infant/toddler growth and development: physical/nutritional needs of infants and toddlers; safety issues in the care of infants and toddlers; care and guidance; communication skills with parents and children; design and implementation of appropriate curriculum; and other related topics.
What you'll gain
Graduates should be prepared to plan and implement developmentally appropriate infant/toddler programs in early childhood settings. Employment opportunities include child development and childcare programs, preschools, public and private schools, recreational centers, Early Head Start programs, and other infant/toddler programs.
Upon successful completion of this program, the student should be able to:
- Describe the sequence of typical development from conception through two years of age.
- Recognize the indicators of atypical development in infants, toddlers, and two-year-olds.
- Demonstrate the ability to engage in appropriate interactions with infants, toddlers, and two-year-olds.
- Recognize developmentally appropriate environments for infants, toddlers, and twos.
- Recognize the characteristics and skills of an effective teacher of infants, toddlers, and twos.
- Discuss the elements of quality in a program for children under three.
School of General Studies
and Academic Support
Question about this program?
Our Counselors are here to help!
B.E. Mendenhall Jr. Building (1st floor)
Call us: 336.249.8186