The year 2013 marks the 50th anniversary for DCCC. To learn more about our College's history view the DCCC 50th Anniversary video.
Davidson County Community College was initially chartered in 1958 as an Industrial Education Center (IEC). Like other industrial education centers chartered in the 1950s and consolidated under the Community College Act of 1963, this center was designed to equip adults with the skills needed to move from an agricultural to a manufacturing-based economy. When the William E. Sinclair Building opened on a 22-acre site in 1963, the Davidson County IEC enrolled 125 students in vocational and technical programs and 51 students in adult education and service programs.
In 1965, the institution was chartered as Davidson County Community College (DCCC). The Associate in Arts and Associate in Science degrees were added to the existing Associate in Applied Science degree, diploma, and certificate offerings.
The Davidson Campus has 13 buildings and two emergency services training facilities on approximately 97 acres. This includes recent additions of a Technology and Conference Center, a Transportation Technology Center, and a bookstore.
The Davie Campus opened in the spring of 1994 at 1205 Salisbury Road in Mocksville with support from Davie County, the Town of Mocksville, business and industry, and citizens. The campus consists of 45 acres, three classroom and lab buildings, and an emergency services training facility.
The Davie Campus achieved multi-campus status by the state in 2004. A major expansion project in 2008 added 8,500 square feet of new space to the Laboratory Building. The first floor of the Community Building was renovated to include a state-of-the-art library and Internet cafe.
Due to support from many community partners, DCCC opened three satellite education centers in 2004, 2005, and 2008. The Uptown Lexington Education Center at 20 East First Street opened its doors in May 2004, with the Thomasville Education Center first offering courses in June 2005 at 305 Randolph Street. The Davie Education Center opened in April 2008, located in Advance.
DCCC continues to grow, including the addition of state-of-the-art classrooms, including new Macintosh-based computer, advanced manufacturing, and automotive labs. DCCC serves approximately 16,000 students each year and has more than 50 curriculum programs.