Service Learning at DCCC
At DCCC, we feel our students benefit from a number of service-learning activities - a combination of community service and academic instruction. The focus is on learning while exploring personal and civic responsibility.
It involves students in activities that address community-identified needs, while developing academic skills.
Examples of service learning activities include:
- Math students tutoring third-graders in arithmetic.
- English students assisting in an adult literacy program.
- Sociology students educating their peers on HIV/AIDS prevention.
- Nursing students providing home health care to the elderly or disabled.
- Chemistry students teaching elementary school students about the proper disposal of household hazardous waste.
- Law Enforcement students teaching community members how to set up a neighborhood watch program.
- Accounting students helping senior citizens with their tax returns.