How do I apply for my VA Educational Benefits?

You can apply for your VA benefits by applying through the website using the VA Online Application (VONAPP) or we have direct links from our DCCC website under “Veterans’ Information,” under “Admission & Aid” tab, then click on the “Application Forms and Procedures.”

How do I know which form to fill out?

  • Form 22-1990 – if you never used VA benefits before
  • Form 22-1995 – if you used your VA benefits at another school
  • Form 22-5490 – a dependent of a VA that has never used the benefits before
  • Form 22-5495 – a dependent of a VA who has used their VA benefits at another school

How do I complete my VA file at DCCC?

To complete your VA file with DCCC you will need to provide:

  • The Admissions Office with copies of high school and/or college transcripts.
  • Provide copies of your VONAPP application, DD-214, and/or NOBE, if applicable.
  • Print and fill out the DCCC VA Contract and the Enrollment Plan Memo located under the “Veterans’ Information, Application Forms and Procedures” on our DCCC website.
  • Copy of your current DCCC class schedule.
  • Certificate of Eligibility (once you received it from the VA Office).  Note:  This is a letter that the student receives from the application that lets them know what chapter they are eligible for and the length of time for the use of their VA benefits.  At this time, there is a delay in students receiving this notice, but can process their certification until they receive it.

Will I receive benefits if I attend on a part-time basis?

Yes, you are eligible to receive benefits. Your benefit amount will be prorated accordingly.

Can you tell me how much that will be?

These amounts are located at website under their respective Chapters.
Do we have to pay for our tuition, fees and books up front?
This depends on the chapter you are under.  Under Chapters 30, 35 1606, and 1607 will need to pay for their schooling upfront unless they have Financial Aid.  If you are under the new 9/11 GI Bill – Chapter 33, then you do not have to pay for your tuition and fees—the VA will send that directly to the school.  Unless you have Financial Aid, you will need to pay for your books.

Is there a limit to the number of times I can change my major?

No, there is no limit. Be sure to contact the VA Representative at DCCC when the change to the new major has been done. Be aware that changing your major may affect other sources of aid. Must I be enrolled in a degree program to receive benefits?
Yes, you can only be certified for credit hours that specifically apply toward your degree program.  A list of approved VA programs is located on the DCCC website.

May I receive VA Educational Benefits and federal financial aid during my enrollment?

Yes, many students are eligible to receive VA Educational Benefits and federal financial aid.

Does DCCC participates in the Yellow Ribbon Program?

No, DCCC does not participate in the Yellow Ribbon Program.

Does VA pay for out-of-state tuition?

No, DCCC can only report in-state tuition and fees for VA educational benefits.  Any outstanding balance will need to be paid by the VA student or through financial aid.

Financial Aid Office

B.E. Mendenhall Jr. Building

Hours of Operation:
Monday & Tuesday: 8 a.m. - 6 p.m.
Wednesday & Thursday: 8 a.m. - 5 p.m.
Friday: 8 a.m. - noon

Call Us: 336.249.8186, ext. 6393
Fax Number:

Contact Now

Financial Aid Deadlines

Fall 2014:
FAFSA Application: June 1, 2014
FAFSA File Completion: June 15, 2014
Admissions Application/Placement: August 1, 2014

Spring 2015:
FAFSA Application: November 15, 2014
FAFSA File Completion: December 1, 2014
Admissions Application/Placement: December 1, 2014

Summer 2015:
FAFSA Application: April 11, 2015
FAFSA File Completion: April 15, 2015
Admissions Application/Placement: May 10, 2015