Financial Aid Info & Disbursement Guide
For Eligibility for Financial Aid at DCCC, its necessary to:
1. Be accepted at DCCC in a Title IV-eligible program (this includes all Associate Degree programs at DCCC, and a limited number of Diploma and Certificate programs).
- Visit the DCCC FA web page for a complete listing of eligible programs.
2. Provide proof you have earned a recognized HS diploma or High School Equivalency.
- High School completers, provide an officially signed and dated final transcript, showing graduation date.
- High School Equivalency completers, provide an official final score report (may accompany the High School Equivalency certificate OR an official copy of your score report from the state agency where it was completed.
|FAFSA: June 1||FAFSA: November 15||FAFSA: April 15|
|Paperwork: June 15||Paperwork: December 1||Paperwork: May 1|
- You may apply after the deadline, but must pay your own enrollment expenses to begin unless financial aid is awarded by the tuition deadline (or bookstore charging dates). DCCC will continue to process financial aid applications and award and disburse eligible student throughout the term.
4. Maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress for academic eligibility which requires:
- Maintaining a cumulative Grade Point Average (GPA) of a 2.0 or higher,
- Successfully completing 67% (2/3rds) of the cumulative hours you have enrolled in,
- Completing your program within 150% of its required number of credit hours.
- Attempting no more than 30 hours of pre-curricular (developmental) course work
6. Not exceed the Pell life-time limit (6 full-time academic years or first bachelor’s degree)
Financial Aid Awards:
1. Students are notified through their DCCC student e-mail of 2013-2014 financial aid awards once eligibility is determined.
- Students are directed by e-mail to DCCC StormTrac to view the Financial Aid Award Letter.
- The Award Letter will indicate what types of financial aid have been accepted (“A”) or offered (“O”), what terms will be funded, and the maximum estimated amounts for each.
- Student Loans appear on the award letter as an “Offered” resource. To accept loans, students must complete all required Direct Student Loan STEPS for NEW or RETURNING borrowers at DCCC at https://davidsonccc.edu/financial-aid/student-loans. The loan is requested after completion.
- Student Loan requirements (all steps & forms) need to be completed by the 15th of the month to be on the following month’s scheduled disbursement (ex. Aug. 15 for Sept. 20 OR Jan. 15 for Feb. 21)
- Fall loans will not be processed after Nov. 15, 2013. Spring loans not processed after April 15, 2014 and Summer loans not processed after June 15, 2014.
- Awards amounts are estimates based on full-time enrollment, but actual amounts will depend on the level of enrollment and adjusted appropriately.
- Enrollment levels are frozen at the 10% census date of each term for calculation of FA awards. Any classes added/registered after that date will NOT be reflected in financial aid funds and the student is responsible for paying for the tuition and books for the added class(es).
- The following are enrollment levels for state and federal financial aid for all terms (including summer).
|Full-Time||12 (or more) credit hours|
|3/4 Time||9-11 credit hours|
|1/2 Time*||6-8 credit hours|
|Less than half time (LTHT)||1-5 credit hours|
*Most awards require at least ½-time enrollment
- Cosmetology, Esthetics BLET and 1st year Therapeutic Massage students are all in clock-hour payment programs and award amounts are prorated and timed differently for those students.
- Financial Aid will not pay for: Audits “AU”, No Shows “NS”, Dropped “D” classes before the 10% census date, Deleted or Cancelled classes “X”, or repeats of previously passed classes.
2. Awards are made for Fall and Spring semesters only, Summer term is not funded.
- Students required to attend summer classes should SAVE prior refunds to cover costs or must self-pay.
- If you have not used 100% of your annual Pell award for fall and spring, you may receive a summer Pell award, but you must notify the Financial Aid of your summer plans so the award may be adjusted. Community College Grant (NCCCG) and NC Education Lottery Scholarship (NCELS) are available Fall and Spring terms only to NC Residents who are enrolled at least ½-time. There is no State summer awards.
Registering and Charging Tuition and Books:
1. Students work with an Academic Counselor to plan and register for required classes.
2. Students who have financial aid completed and awarded by the tuition payment deadline will have tuition held to prevent the classes from being dropped for non-payment.
3. Students who have financial aid completed and awarded by the bookstore charging period will be able to charge books and required supplies with a printed class schedule and a photo ID.
Dates to Charge at DCCC Bookstore
|Fall Semester||August 2-23, 2013|
|Spring Semester||January 6-17, 2014|
|Summer Term||May 27 - June 6, 2014|
*All purchases and returns/credits back to the FA account at the DCCC Bookstore must be done within the charging window for the term. The 30-Day bookstore return/refund policy applies to out of pocket purchases only.
Disbursement (Payment) Of Remaining Financial Aid Funds
1. Financial Aid disbursements are made AFTER enrollment and attendance is confirmed. This requires 30-45 days to confirm the information and process funds.
- For classes beginning after the first week of the term, financial aid for those late-start credit hours will be delayed until enrollment is confirmed the following month. There is monthly reporting.
- Loan disbursements are not made until confirmation of enrollment in 6 credit hours (1/2 time).
2. Once enrollment levels are confirmed, DCCC requests financial aid funds and the Business Office first pays tuition, fees, and bookstore charges.
- If costs exceed the amount of available aid the student is responsible for the remaining balance.
3. After educational charges are paid, remaining financial aid funds will be transmitted to a Discover Debit Card. Students receive one card that they will use every term thereafter.
- First time FA recipients at DCCC will be mailed a card 1 week prior to the disbursement of funds.
- Cards must be activated and kept secure as they are used each term for FA payments.
- Cards may be used anywhere the Discover card is accepted (grocery, gas, banking, ATM’s, etc.).
- A fee-free ATM is available for use in the Brooks Student Center lobby for payment card holders.
Financial Aid Disbursement Dates
|Fall 2013||Spring 2014||Summer 2014|
|1st Disbursement||September 20, 2013||February 21, 2014||July 3, 2014|
|2nd Disbursement||October 18, 2013||March 14, 2014||July 11, 2014|
|3rd Disbursement||November 15, 2013||April 11, 2014|
|4th Disbursement||December 11, 2013||May 9, 2014|
Policy for Return of UNEARNED Financial Aid Funds:
- Students must attend/participate in classes to remain earn financial aid funds (grants and loans).
- Students who cease to complete the term either by officially withdrawing or dropping or who do not formally withdraw but stop attending or participating will be reviewed for a return of Financial Aid funds.
- Financial Aid Office must calculate the portion of financial aid that has been earned by a student. If the calculation results determine the student did not attend past the 60% date of the enrollment period, the unearned portion must be returned to the US Department of Education
- Students will be notified by DCCC student e-mail and can view billing on StormTrac for required payment. If a Return of Funds is required it must be paid within 45 days of notification.
- Failure to repay owed amounts will prevent further financial aid, reenrollment at DCCC, the ability to receive transcripts and possible transfer of billing to a collections agency.
Financial Aid Office
B.E. Mendenhall Jr. Building
Hours of Operation:
Monday & Tuesday: 8 a.m. - 6 p.m.
Wednesday & Thursday: 8 a.m. - 5 p.m.
Friday: 8 a.m. - noon
Call Us: 336.249.8186, ext. 6393
Fax Number: 336.224.0240
Financial Aid Deadlines
FAFSA Application: November 15, 2013
FAFSA File completion: Dec. 1, 2013
Admissions Application/Placement: Dec. 1, 2013
FAFSA Application: April 15, 2014
FAFSA File Completion: May 1, 2014
Admissions Application/Placement: May 10, 2014
FAFSA Application: June 1, 2014
FAFSA File Completion: June 15, 2014
Admissions Application/Placement: August 1, 2014